Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wandering in the Heat

Here is the first pair of socks for the 52 Pair Plunge II on Ravelry:

Posted by Picasa


I like the Tofutsies yarn, but dislike the pooling I got in parts of the socks. I don't dislike it enough to use two skeins and switch every two rows, as I've read you can do to prevent pooling. They're socks, not the Mona Lisa.

I finally settled down this afternoon and worked on the pink lace scarf from The List. I don't know why I have so much trouble getting things done on my day off. I even wrote a list last night (I'm big on lists, huh?) but I really didn't get much done from it. I'm not a morning person, and I have trouble getting up and going no matter how late I sleep. But it's after 6PM, and I'm starting to get the urge to get something accomplished. Most of the day was spent cleaning up clutter, unloading and reloading the dishwasher, and running laundry. That doesn't sound like much, but there was a lot of clutter! And I didn't even make it into the dining room, where the table is covered, nor the TV room, which is really my husband's domain. Therefore, I don't worry about it too much.

Sooo, I had to make myself sit down and think about what would be the most productive use of my knitting/spinning time. I decided on the pink lace scarf because I have to concentrate on it. That makes it the best project for times when interruptions will be at a minimum. I think I'm starting to get the hang of the repeats in this pattern. It's about time--I've only done about 9 repeats!

I also went downtown and bought a ball winder and looked for a standing cabinet for the kitchen. I'm glad there's a weaving shop in town, and that she had ball winders in stock. I had bought an expensive jumbo winder, but had a really hard time with it. I contacted the maker, who was extremely nice and helpful, and he had me send it to him to see if it needed tweaking. He called to tell me that there was nothing wrong with it, but that thin, slippery yarns don't work well on that particular winder. He very kindly refunded my money, and I guess I'll stick with the good old plastic winder from now on. It's a shame--that was a nice winder, but if it wasn't going to work for shawl yarn and sock yarn, it wasn't the one for me.

I discovered something today, as I was wandering in and out of shops downtown (all three blocks of it.) It's summer. It's hot. Hot weather makes me grumpy. I thank God every night for air conditioning (I'm not kidding.) A friend in Alabama told me that they've had temps in the 90's for weeks now. I would just die down there. If I didn't have air conditioning and ice cream, I don't know how I would live.

Speaking of ice cream...

No comments: