Saturday, March 29, 2008

Time crawls...

...when you're sewing knitted pieces together. At least I've learned how to do it, and I have both shoulders, one sleeve, and one entire side seam done. Turns out that the collar doesn't have to be done until the rest of it is sewn together, which is good, because it's not done! Actually, I can't imagine why this pattern was written the way it was, but the Knitting Police won't come and get me if I adapt it. Besides, the teacher said I could, so nyah, nyah, nyah!

I quite enjoyed the class. We talked sock yarn, grandkids, and knitted turtles (TOO funny!) The shop is a lovely, welcoming place, and all the employees are super-friendly. It's the place where everybody knows your name. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot more time there, what with the sock clubs and ladies' days, but that's dangerous. Not because of the people, but OMIGOSH THE YARN THEY STOCK!! Wendy, who taught the class, suggested that I turn over my wallet to the enablers (oops, I mean employees) as soon as I walk in the door. I have a feeling that won't help.

I don't know how I did it, but I managed to get out of there without buying a thing! Yes, even though they had some terrific new sock yarns, and some Lorna's Laces sport weight in a yummy buttery yellow that would make beautiful socks (and was 35% off!!) I stiffened my spine and walked away. Boy, does my back hurt now... I had to keep telling myself, "They'll keep making sock yarn; it won't be all used up by the time you are allowed to buy more."

I could go to The Chair and do some more sewing, but I've had about enough of that for one day. I'm torn between putting on the ipod and listening to "Emma" while I cross-stitch, or pouring a glass of wine, making some popcorn, and diving into Sharon Kay Penman's "The Sunne in Splendour". Hmmm, Jane Austen or Richard III? It's a tough decision.

No comments: