Thursday, April 24, 2008

Can I have a Do-Over?

This week has gone well (read that with REALLY heavy sarcasm.) It started Sunday night when I couldn't get to sleep, and finally drifted off only to have one of those nights when you sleep for 20 minutes, then lie awake for two hours. ALL sleeping was over when I woke up at 4AM, rolled over and felt a horrible pain starting in the center of my chest and spreading all the way up into my jaw, down into my ribcage, and over into my shoulder. Once it eased and I could breathe again, I staggered to the kitchen and took a couple of aspirin. Then I went back to bed. I know--stoopid. I'm concerned enough that I'm having a heart attack to take aspirin, but then I go lie back down like everything is just peachy.

Once I realized the stupidity of waiting until 9AM to call the doctor (because he would have just told me to go to the hospital anyway), I woke hubby and told him to take me to the ER. Well, that's not exactly true. I took a shower and shaved my legs and THEN woke up hubby. I had to! YOU know what those hospital gowns are like! At least I didn't wait to put on makeup! But furry legs were just too much.

Long story short, we ended up staying in the emergency room 11 hours (which felt like 33 hours.) They kept me overnight, did all the blood tests and a stress test, and all is well. It was not a heart "incident." Apparently you can have acid reflux or esophageal spasms that will produce the same painful symptoms. I've been taking a lot of anti-inflammatory meds for my back, and my stomach has felt pretty ragged lately, so that seems to be the problem. The meds they gave me for that are helping already, so I'm in good shape. And it is good to know that the ol' ticker is in good shape too. I celebrated by having a Milky Way (and as my brother said when I told him that, "And I salted it too!")

I did get a little knitting done. I had started a sock out of Tofutsie yarn, and I got almost to the point of turning the heel, so the two days weren't a total waste. It's a shame I didn't get more done--when will I have another two days to lie around and do nothing? But there's always a catch, and this one was that they had me on blood pressure meds until the test results came back, just in case, and those made me feel so groggy that all I could do was watch TV when I wasn't sleeping.

So I'm still trying to catch up. I got way behind at work, so I've had to put in a few extra hours there. I need to check the status of the laundry, but I really just want to go knit. That's nothing new though, is it? But I think the litter box is reaching critical mass, so I had really better get busy.

Oh, yeah. New scary thing. Marcia now has Noro sock yarn in stock. And she has the purple. And the shop is like a quarter mile from my office, and right on the way to pick up the mail. How long will I be able to resist? The clock is running...

No comments: