Sunday, April 20, 2008

One step up...

...but a couple of steps back. I finished two projects yesterday, but I've bought yarn and fiber in the last few weeks, so I don't know if I'm getting ahead or not. I guess I am, because at least I'm finishing things, and I've been able to resist starting new stuff. I consider that progress. And I'm only two projects away from rewarding myself by starting the Formerly-The-Last-Purchase-But-Now-The-Obviously-I'll-Never-Stop-Buying-Yarn Socks.

No photos of the finished projects yet, as our camera equipment is out on loan to our son, who was photographing a wedding yesterday. BUT, I think it's time to show the Sewing Room Hellhole. Brace yourselves.






Yes, it's awful. But I'm not the only one with this problem, because Abby was complaining about the same thing over on her blog. I left a comment for her about how we need to use the "Clean Sweep" method of organizing, which is that you take everything out of the room and put it on a tarp on your lawn and sort it into piles to keep, give away, or sell. The problem is, I can't get all of this stuff downstairs and outside! But, really, I will have to take out as much as I can and reorganize somehow. Like Abby, though, I don't know when that will be!

This room is only like this because Melissa had to have a room of her own, so my other sewing room went to her. I didn't have time to sort my stuff before the carpet people came. I just had to scoop it all up and shove it in this room. The cardboard boxes that you see in a couple of the photos contain knitting projects, the shelves that you can barely see on the back wall are full of quilt fabric (covered with muslin for protection), there are also a few boxes and baskets of yarn on the shelves, and the biggest thing in the room that's causing most of the trouble is my 45-inch loom. I've been seriously thinking about selling it, but I'm still trying to figure out where I can put it so I can actually use it. I haven't come up with an answer yet, so eventually I'll probably have to give up and let it go.

Also tucked away out of sight are a number of boxes and bags of fleece and roving, and the closet contains lots of roving as well. So now you know why I started this blog. I'm hoping as time goes by I can start carving a path through the room, finishing projects and clearing out boxes and bags. I know that everything that's in there is there because I loved it enough to buy it and plan a project. I've just gotten sidetracked (NO KIDDING!) But I'm going to get to it, and either use it or let it go to someone else who will love and use it. It's just going to take a while...

No comments: